• Make sure to cheer on your Lady T-Wolves as the girls soccer team goes on to state!

• Did you know parking passes are free? Make sure to register your car in the front office!

The online school newspaper of Lake City High School

Timberwolf Times

A Couple of Reasons You Should Own a Dog

Photo from: Wikipedia Creative Commons License

David West, Staff Writer

Dogs, man’s best friend, have been with us for thousands of years. They’ve been our friends, our family, and our partners, and although dogs are viewed as just animals by most people, they can be so much more to people who have trouble dealing with life and all of its problems. Yes, not only have dogs helped us on farms and on hunting trips, but they have also helped us mentally and emotionally. “We found that pet owners, on average, were better off than non-owners, especially when they have a higher-quality relationship with their pets,” says pet researcher Allen R. McConnell, PhD. They can help you become a social butterfly and reduce the stress of your day-to-day life.

Dogs can help in other ways, too.

1. Improves Baby’s Immune Systems

Studies have shown that children that are younger than 6 months old are less likely to have allergies or asthma if a dog is present. Another study shows that babies with a dog at home are less prone to get colds or ear infections.

1. Strengthen Your Heart

Owning a dog makes you less susceptible to heart diseases. Why? Simply because dog owners walk more and have lower blood pressure than people that don’t have dogs. Dogs can also be good for you if you already have heart problems. Heart attack survivors and people with serious abnormal heart rhythms live longer if they are in the company of dog.

1.       Better your Mood

People who own a dog are generally more happy, more trusting, and less lonely. One reason for this may be that your dog gives you a sense of belonging and meaning. When a dog enters your life, you are responsible for it, giving you a reason to keep going. “You feel like you have greater control of your life.” says McConnell.

1.       Pets Help the Elderly

Owning a dog offers the elderly companionship and love. Dogs also give them company, so they’re not as lonely. The elderly also have a chance to exercise, which can positively benefit individuals with illnesses such as rheumatoid arthritis and help with the prevention of osteoporosis.

1.       Rehabilitation

After suffering from a serious illness or prolonged hospitalization, therapy dogs can become integral in the process of rehabilitation. Dogs can assist people with various disabilities in everyday activities, significantly reducing their dependence on others.

1.      Lower Blood Pressure

Recent research on human-dog interactions show that talking to or petting a dog is accompanied by lower blood pressure compared to human conversation. Children were found to have lower blood pressure just by being in the presence of a dog.

1.      Makes you a Social Magnet

Dogs are really good at turning you into the life of the party. Dogs are natural attention getters, so when someone sees somebody with a dog, that makes people want to talk to them, mostly about the dog. “If I saw you walking down the street, I couldn’t comfortably start talking to you if I didn’t know you, but I could if you had a dog,” Beck says. “It’s an acceptable interaction that otherwise wouldn’t be possible.”