• Homecoming dance is Saturday, September 23, from 7-10!

• Homecoming week is the 18-22!

• Did you know parking passes are free? Make sure to register your car in the front office!

The online school newspaper of Lake City High School

Timberwolf Times

Benifits of College

mini graduation cap on money

mini graduation cap on money

mini graduation cap on money

Charlotte Romero, Opinion Editor

Bringing up the subject of college is a very controversial topic with many teens when there are obvious arguments for both sides.

Benefits:   

1. Make more money: Studies show that college graduates will make a significantly more amount of money throughout a lifetime as opposed to those who only have a high school diploma. The higher level job opportunities pay more but only to those with a college degree.
  2. Benefits for you and your family: “Most jobs that require a bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral or professional degree tend to also provide more benefits. This can include health care, retirement investment, travel and other perks. These types of benefits are rarely offered for high-school-level jobs.”(Education Corner)
  3. Better Career Opportunities:     When people go to college they don’t always know what they want to do but with the degree from a college or even a start it makes it easy to specify what you want to do when you figure it out.
  4. Job Security:      Job security is gained when you are valuable in the workplace. An employer would favor someone with a college degree as opposed to a high school degree and if a opportunity for either a promotion or for layoffs you are way more likely to gain from the experience.
  5. Job Satisfaction:      As a college graduate you are way more likely to enjoy the job you are committed to because of all the factors listed, especially the higher amounts of money. If this is the job you went through college to get to it will become a source of pride when you accomplish it.
  6. An Investment for your future:     Going to college is both a commitment of your time and your money but it can also be looked at it as the blast off to your future.

All these reasons and many many more are the most commonly talked about when making the big decision of attending college.  Money is always an issue but scholarships could be available for you and there are many programs in the United States and around the world that will forgive your college loans for your time with their organization.