• Homework help and tutoring after school from 2:40-3:30 every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday in the Library!

• Remember, students are still not allowed to have phones during school hours!

• Did you know parking passes are free? Make sure to register your car in the front office!

The online school newspaper of Lake City High School

Timberwolf Times

Computers vs Textbooks in Schools

Image from Neat Today

Image from Neat Today

Image from Neat Today

Chloe Pegoraro, Staff Writer

Computers and textbooks are both great resources to have in school, but is one better than the other?  There pros and cons to both, but which one is best for LCHS?

Computers have the potential to access hundreds of textbooks and resources rather than having limited, outdated information.  Computers can help students learn thirty to eighty percent faster, according to the US department of Education.  E-textbooks cost on average fifty to sixty percent less than print textbooks.  Computers have so much more valuable information and makes learning fun and easy.  New funding to put chromebooks in more classroom have really helped students access more accurate and valuable information to make learning easier and enjoyable.

Computers and electronics though, have been linked to a series of health problems. According to the American Optometric Association, technological devices contribute to eyestrain, headaches, and blurred vision.  Computers are very expensive to use from the hardware itself, to WiFi network, to software programs.  According to Lee Wilson, a prominent education marketing expert, the cost per students to use an electronic device is $71.55 vs $14.26 for textbooks.  The school already has so many textbooks to use, and money is a clear issue for the school, so it might not be a good idea to spend more money for the same information we already get from textbooks.

So what do LCHS students think about this debate? I talked to a small group of students and 83% of them said they would rather use computers.  They like the up-to=date information that computers offer and the easier access to information.  It makes learning more enjoyable and interesting to them.  While some students disagree, they say the wear and tear on computer is way bigger and more expensive issue than wear and tear on a textbook.  They think it is important for students these days to actually read printed words and touch paper.  There are many pros and cons to both resources but we are lucky to live in a time where we can experience both.