An illustration of NASA's Swift Observatory with a nearby spacecraft in orbit

NASA Calls Off Swift Observatory Rescue Mission After LINK Spacecraft Hit Altitude Control Trouble, Ending Bid to Lift Telescope Higher in Orbit

WASHINGTON, DC — NASA and Katalyst Space have ended their attempt to boost the orbit of the Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory after the LINK spacecraft ran into altitude control problems. The decision came Wednesday, according to the companies’ statement, closing off the immediate rescue effort for the telescope that has spent 21 years in low Earth orbit.

The mission had been designed to lift Swift to a higher altitude and slow the rapid orbital decay NASA says has been driven by increased solar activity. NASA now expects the observatory to re-enter Earth’s atmosphere this year, even though the spacecraft itself is still scheduled to attempt rendezvous and proximity operations with Swift.

What The Mission Tried

LINK was built to meet Swift in orbit and carry out the kind of close operations needed for a possible orbital raise. NASA and Katalyst said the spacecraft’s attempt to use LINK encountered control issues before the boost could happen. The agencies did not say that the vehicle was lost; instead, they said LINK remains set for proximity operations.

The target was the Swift Observatory, a NASA telescope that began its mission in 2004 and was originally expected to operate for two years. It has remained active far longer than planned, largely because it has continued to provide data on gamma-ray bursts. The new effort was meant to extend that run by giving the spacecraft a higher path around Earth.

Why Swift Matters

Swift has been a long-running scientific asset in low Earth orbit, watching some of the universe’s most energetic explosions. Its longevity has made it a useful example of how a mission can outlast its original design life when the spacecraft keeps working and scientists keep finding reasons to use it.

NASA said solar activity has sped up the telescope’s orbital decline, creating pressure to act before re-entry. The agency and Katalyst described the LINK effort as a first-of-its-kind try carried out on an unusually fast schedule. Katalyst built and manufactured the spacecraft in less than a year after receiving a $30 million Swift Boost contract in 2025.

What Happens Next

For now, the focus shifts from orbit-raising to whatever the LINK spacecraft can still do during rendezvous and proximity operations. NASA and Katalyst did not say whether the mission might be revised or whether another attempt could be considered later. The immediate fact is that the planned altitude increase did not happen.

The broader lesson, officials said, is that the mission still produced useful experience. NASA astrophysics chief Shawn Domagal-Goldman said the project was high-risk and high-reward, and that the team had gained a great deal even without the intended outcome. Readers can follow updates through NASA and Katalyst Space statements as Swift’s expected atmospheric re-entry approaches.

Wild places, night skies and what science just found, on Timberwolf Times.

Related Posts